After a long beta period, Synology has released DiskStation Manager 6.2 (DSM 6.2). This is Synology’s major release for the year. DSM 6.2 is a little later than usual for Synology’s yearly release, DSM 6.1 was released in February 2017.
DSM 6.2 is now being pushed out through their update channel and it’s available in Synology’s download center. I’ve been running the beta version for several months on a DS218+. The beta has been relatively stable and mostly problem free. That said, you shouldn’t expect the upgrade to be problem free. Waiting for the first update to DSM 6.2 is always the safest path, but if you don’t want to wait, allow some time in your schedule to sort out any problems. There aren’t any officially supported ways to downgrade back to DSM 6.1. While there are ways to downgrade, plan to restore everything from backup if you do a downgrade. So as always, have good backups before you upgrade.
The update has appeared in the updates for my DS815+ & DS1511+. It does not appear on the DS218+ which is running the beta (updates have never appeared on the DSM 6.2 beta software), so I upgraded manually.
The most visible changes include
- A redesigned package center
- An updated storage manager.
- If 2-factor authorization is enabled then email notifications must also be set up.
There are some limitations added with this version
- This will be the last DSM version that will support IPv6 Tunneling in Network Interface.
- USB device drivers will no longer be updated.
- The WiFi dongle does not support parental controls and device list if set as bridge mode.
- Virtual Machine manage will no longer support creating clusters on older DSM versions.
- SSH authentication by DSA public key is prohibited for security reasons.
- The original RAID scrubbing schedule tasks will be migrated to smart data scrubbing. In addition, data scrubbing will automatically be executed shortly after the upgrade.
- This will be the last major DSM release for some models. They will receive updates to DSM 6.2 for at least two years. These include:
XS Series : RS3412xs, RS3412RPxs, RS3411xs, RS3411RPxs, DS3612xs, DS3611xs
Plus Series : RS2212+, RS2212RP+, RS2211+, RS2211RP+, RS812+, RS812RP+, DS2411+, DS1812+, DS1512+, DS1511+, DS712+, DS412+, DS411+II, DS411+, DS213+, DS212+, DS211+, DS112+
Value Series : RS812, RS212, DS413, DS411, DS213, DS212, DS211, DS112, DS111
J Series : DS413j, DS411j, DS411slim, DS213air, DS212j, DS211j, DS112j
Others : DDSM